You may perhaps be contemplating to join the medical field, but not knowing which course to pursue. One of the most highly demanded courses among medical students in the country is the OT course. This is considered to be a program that does offer you with a plenty of job options and avenues to apply and have a wonderful career. Moreover, this course allows you to explore different options and enjoy a career that is filled with great responsibilities and an important role to play along with the highly qualified and reputed surgeons, anaesthetists and nurses. The role of the OT technician also requires you to work in the operation theatre setting, which in itself a great challenge.
Know about the OT technician course
It is regarded to be a diploma level course that allows you to get knowledge and certification in operations management. The course also prepares you to work as highly competent technologist and be guided by the senior technical staffs and senior doctors. Your role will be to deliver good patient care and learn to use the different types of sophisticated diagnostic equipment that are used in the OT setting like Defibrillators, C-arm, Ventilators, C-arm and much more. The training provides candidates with theoretical and practical hands-on approach to the course and imbibe in them the skills and knowledge necessary to monitor the different infection control procedures and policy that is to be followed within the OT setting.
Eligibility and fees
To join the course, you are required to have scored minimum of 50% in 10+2 academic session in any stream. The minimum fees charged by colleges around the country are around Rs.30000. But this amount can vary and may increase which again depends upon the specific college. Checking out the different websites of colleges can give a clear picture.
Diploma in Operation Theatre Technician does require studying different subjects related to the field, which are mentioned below.
- OR Aseptic Technique (General conduct); Dept. of Operating room and various disciplines
- Different anesthesia drug types used for anesthesia; Anaesthesia Boyles Apparatus – History
- Position during surgeries; sterilization infection control; taking care of disposable equipment
- Mechanical Intubation Ventilator
- Fluid Administration; Blood & Blood-related products; Stock DDA procedures & Documentation; Stock maintenance; Safety measures
- Through the course, you will gain knowledge on technical, interpersonal skills that will be necessary to work along with surgeons, anesthetist and nurses.
- Your work involves you to stand for hours in the lab setting without sitting.
- You need to constantly keep yourself updated on the changes being introduced in the field of OT techniques and procedures.
Position applied for
Completing the diploma program, you are eligible to apply for various positions in the leading government & private hospitals, medical establishments, colleges and universities and other avenues that recruit such professionals. Some of the positions applied for are as follows:
- Lab Tech
- Operation Theatre Assistant
- Anaesthetist Consultant
- Associate Consultant/Consultant
- Operation Theatre Technician
In short, this course does give you the opportunity to be part of the team that ends up being the life giver to all patients, helping them to recover from their ailment.