A cataract affects most of us after the age of 50; it forms a layer on the lens inside the eyes thereby causing vision loss which cannot be corrected with glasses, lenses or a laser treatment. Cataract is closely associated with aging, and the modern cataract surgeries restore the vision as before. Nowadays, it is quite convenient to book surgery packages online. All the relevant information regarding doctors, hospitals, and costs involved are available online, various packages can be compared, and the most suitable one can be selected.
The modern cataract surgeries performed today are quite effective and safe. In a Cataract Surgery, the clouded lenses inside the eyes are replaced with intraocular lenses to restore the vision.
There are different types of cataract surgeries performed namely;
- Phacoemulsification: This procedure promotes faster recovery and reduces the risk of retinal detachment and other surgery-related complications. The cataract is removed using smaller incisions, and the clouded lens is eliminated using ultrasonic waves. An artificial lens is inserted and positioned once the broken pieces are suctioned out.
- Laser surgery: Laser surgical procedures are recently-developed and are costlier. Laser beams provide the surgeon access to the lens by creating corneal incisions. The anterior capsule of the lens can then be removed. It also fragments the cataract so that less phaco energy is utilized to remove it. It reduces astigmatism by creating peripheral corneal incisions.
- Extracapsular surgery: The surgeon may recommend an extracapsular cataract extraction if the cataract is at an advanced stage. In this type of surgery, several larger incisions are inserted to remove the cataract.
- Refractive Surgery: In this surgical procedure apart from the cataract, other refractive errors like nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism is also cured. Premium intraocular lens is inserted to achieve this recovery.
The cost of the surgery depends on the type of package chosen. A complete cataract operation cost would be around Rs 20,000 to Rs 30,000. The prices may go higher depending on the hospital or city chosen for the operation.
Pre-surgical preparation: The ophthalmologist would determine the overall health of the eyes before the surgery by performing a comprehensive eye test. The shape of the cornea and the length of the eye is determined. Further, a refraction will also be performed to know if there is any farsightedness, nearsightedness or astigmatism. The surgeon discusses different types of intraocular lenses which can be used and be depending on the specific situation of the patient the most suitable lens can be chosen.
Risk factors involved: Cataract surgeries are considered to be safe and most effective surgical procedures performed resulting in improved vision with 100 percent satisfied customers. However, a low probability of risk and complications are imperative in all surgical procedures. The risk involved in cataract surgeries are a severe eye infection, retinal detachment, and cystoid macular edema.
Post surgery recovery: The overall cataract surgical procedure is completed within 2 hours, including all the preoperative medications and post-surgical evaluation and instructions. The patient need not stay overnight in the hospital and can leave immediately after the surgery. The surgeon will discuss the post-surgical medication like eye drops which are to be used for a specific time post surgery. A special pair of sunglasses will be provided to protect the eyes from sunlight or other bright light. Additional specific instructions may be given by the surgeon such as:
- Avoiding strenuous physical exercise that might cause stress on the eyes.
- To refrain from exposing the eyes to dust, grime or other infection-causing elements.
- To avoid swimming and splashing water in the eyes while taking a bath.
The post-surgical recovery takes about two-three weeks. However, the recovery period may vary depending on person to person.